BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Review: The Deathday Letter


Synopsis: Ollie can't be bothered to care about anything but girls until he gets his Deathday Letter and learns he's going to die in twenty-four hours. Bummer.  Ollie does what he does best: nothing. Then his best friend convinces him to live a little, and go after Ronnie, the girl who recently trampled his about-to-expire heart. Ollie turns to carloads of pudding and over-the-top declarations, but even playing the death card doesn't work. All he wants is to set things right with the girl of his dreams. It's now or never?

My Review:  Let's get one thing very clear from the beginning.  Ollie is going to die.  Period.  There is no way around a Deathday Letter, it wasn't a mistake, he dies.  Did I just crush all your hope for a happy ending?  Good.  Now hopefully you won't cry, like I did.  It clearly states that he is GOING TO DIE in the intro, but still... I cried.  Maybe I'm a sap, well yes I am, but still.  Thanks so much to The Traveling ARC Tour!  I'm very happy I signed up for this tour.  It was well worth it.

The world in The Deathday Letter is much like our own.  Except for the fact that roughly twenty four hours before you kick the bucket you receive a Deathday Letter.  Everyone gets one at some point in their life and it's just apart of life.  Ollie is just a normal teenage boy concerned with girls, girls, and well more girls.  He never expected to get his Deathday Letter a few weeks before he was going to turn sixteen.  He handles it better than I would have.  Granted in the book, Deathday Letters are commonplace, but still.  I would have freaked.  Ollie is all for going to school, sitting through classes, and having dinner with his family like any normal day.  That is until his best friend Shane punches him in the eye and drags him out of school.  Shane grabs Ronnie, Ollie's best friend/ex-girlfriend (awkward much) and the three of them set off to make Ollie's last day his best.

The plot is mundane and just normal but the way it was written and the dialogue just made the whole experience hysterical.  I was laughing so much throughout this book.  Even when I wanted to cry (or was crying) I couldn't help but laugh.  Ollie truly has the best friends in the world.  They stick with him the entire day, doing crazy ass stuff like jumping off a bridge, getting high, and stealing clothes, just to be with Ollie.  You couldn't ask for better friends.

As hysterical as this book was, it still depressed the hell out of me.  In fact, if it wasn't for the humor I think I would have ended up bawling the entire book.  In the book, Deathday Letters are seen as a blessing.  You have twenty four hours to do all the things you wanted to do in your life.  You have time to say goodbye to your loved ones.  You can get closure.  Sounds like a great gift right?  I'm not so sure.  I can honestly say I would not want to receive a Deathday Letter.  I wouldn't want the warning.  I wouldn't want the knowledge that in twenty four hours I was going to die.  I would loose it.  As wonderful as it would be to say goodbye to your loved ones it would be awful as well.  I suck at goodbyes as it is, but saying "Well I'm gonna kick the bucket in less than ten hours.  I love  you!  Don't cry over me."  Ya, just couldn't do it.  I firmly believe that everyone should live in the moment.  To take chances, to do random ass things with your friends, to just have fun with life.  Maybe it's because I'm an atheist and don't believe in an afterlife, but I see life as the ultimate gift and to squander it on such mundane activities is a waste.  This book just really hit me like a punch in the gut.  Have I lived a good life?  If I was to die tomorrow, would I have any regrets?  This book really made me think about my life so far, and that is probably the greatest aspect of it.

The Deathday Letter was heavy to say the least, but it was so upbeat and humorous that I couldn't help but laugh.  It's a great story and I'm looking forward to more books by this author.  Truly a thought provoking and hysterical read. 

2 comments:

StephTheBookworm said...

This sounds really good. Bummer to hear that he really does die though. :(

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i really like the sound of this one, a little different from your average read, awesome review my dear!:)