BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 27, 2010

Review: Changeless

Synopsis: Alexia Tarabotti, now Lady Maccon, awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears -- leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria.  But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her into the backwaters of ugly waistcoats, Scotland, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only a soulless can.  She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it.

My Review: I am FINALLY FINISHED! So you know how I've been flooding your notifications with tons of reviews?  Well, all those wonderful books interrupted my reading of probably my new favorite series, while I was dead in the middle of it! And I can joyfully say that I am finished with it!  It probably took me almost a month to complete the damn thing.  I blame the book tours.  :/ 


If you haven't read my review of Soulless then you probably haven't deduced that I am in LOVE with this series (trilogy?) Love, love, love, love, LOVE!  I have been waving it in front of everyone and anyone's face telling them how epic it is!  Changeless  was equally engaging, hysterical, steamy (in both the steampunk variety and the more carnal) and all around just a fantastic story as Soulless.  As soon as I picked it back up, I just couldn't put it down!  I wish I got to devour it all in one setting like I normally do, but I loved it all the same.  


The story continues with a plague sweeping London.  A plague, oddly enough only affecting the supernatural, making them human once again.  Just as quickly as it arrives, it is gone and moving northward towards the barbaric Scotland.  With her husbands sudden departure from Woolsey Manor, and her investigative duties for the Queen, Alexia sets off to follow the trail of humanization to Scotland, where coincidentally enough her husband is as well.   


What I love so much about these books is the snarky commentary.  "Woe is me!" - "Did you really just utter that phrase?"  Alexia is the most aggresively blunt MC ever, but she is oh so hilarious about it all.  The dialogue had me giggling throughout the book and I was never in desperate need of comic relief because I was laughing every other page.  I think it's because most of the brilliant comments are said with such seriousness.   Just picturing the stoic expression of many characters and the words that completely contradict their facial expressions makes me smile.  And giggle idiotically.  It can't be helped, I'm easily amused.  Not to mention Lord Akeldama.  My dear lovely petunia.  I still want him to be my BFF.  I would never have a dull moment in my life ever again.  Plus who doesn't love someone who talks in italics?  He wasn't featured as much, but I was cheering him and Biffy on.  I adore those two, they are both equally brilliant and really add to the story.  Actually, now that I think of it.  I rather heart every single character in these books.  The major ones at least.  Okay.. Ivy is a bit of an exception but she provides so many jokes at her own expense that she is forgiven for her abominable taste in hats.  

The extensive knowledge on the technology of the time has me equally impressed.  If Miss Carriger came up with all that technical mumbo jumbo on her own I have to give her major props, because even if it is pulled from something else, it sounds legit.  So legit in fact ath I barely understood a word of any of it.  There would be a detailed explanation of how and why some machine would work and I'd just sit there, eyes round, and struggle not to let drool run out of my slack jawed mouth.  Changeless really kept me guessing, and of course I never figured anything out until right before it was revealed.  One little surprise in particular I thought of forever ago, but I never actually thought it was going to happen!  I should have been shocked, but I was having one of those "I SO called that!" moments.  Changeless was everything I knew it would be and more.  The ending however, PISSED ME OFF.  I was torn between wanting to throw the book and cry.  But since I had to change into my band uniform I did neither.  I cannot WAIT to get my hands on Blameless and devour it!   I need it.  Soon.  Of course I just figured out why I could never find it in the bookstores.  It isn't to be set to publish till the 31st of August (it also said the 12th so I don't know who to believe!!!)  Point being,  I am utterly dying for Blameless and can't wait for the story to continue.  Plus the cover is just plain gorgeous!  However I can't help but wonder why she is standing next to the famed gargoyle from Notre Dame when she not once steps foot in France (at least from the synopsis anyway) and in fact goes to Italy?  I would like to have this explained, or have a word with the cover arist.  Lol.  

And I am leaving you on a happy note.  I can sum up the amazing-ness that is Changeless in two words.  Bloody brilliant!  

 
 

1 comments:

Darlyn said...

That really sounds brilliant Ky!