BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Review: Wings

 
Synopsis: Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words. Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.  In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

My Review: So I finished this a couple days ago.  Well actually... it was last week.  Hehe.  For some reason I just could not force myself to sit down and write this review.  Now however I have some time on my hands before I have to go to work.  So Nikki recommended this for me to read because she knows how much I love faeries.  Thanks Nikki!  

What struck me as the most unique aspect of this novel was that the Fae were plants.  In most faerie lore the fey are always associated with nature, but in Wings they literally are nature.  When a flower starts growing out of Laurel's back she can no longer deny that she is very different from everyone else.  I loved how Pike made every aspect of Laurel's appearance, habits,and personality reflect her being a  plant.  She eats only fruits and vegetables and drinks Sprite, which provide nutrients for Laurel and of course sugar water. Her cells look like a plants, not a mammals and she can even absorb carbon dioxide through her skin.  It was a very unique twist on the fey that I absolutely loved.  In a way it makes absolute sense.  I even liked the concept of Winter, Autumn, Summer, and Spring faeries.  Even though the hierarchy for power left me a bit confused.  I have no idea why Winter fey would be on top of the power pyramid.  *shrugs*  Though that does kind of make me grin.  I was born in December after all.  :P 

While the premise of the story was very unique nothing else really stood out to me as amazing worthy.  Laurel was okay, but I didn't really feel that great of a connection with her.  I really liked David a lot though.  He was smart, funny, and protective.  What more could you want in a guy?  He always stood by Laurel no matter what, even at his own risk.  Oh and just one thing.  I HATE LOVE TRIANGLES!  Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE!  I am so sick of them!  *rips hair out*  I didn't even like Tamani so it wasn't even that intriguing of a love triangle!  He was so instantly possessive of her it was ridiculous! And Laurel! Just gah!  *headdesk*  Did I mention I hate love triangles?! 

Okay rant down.  *steams silently*  So my overall thoughts on Wings is that while it was a very original take on faeries, the plot and characters just didn't leave me wanting more.  It was okay, but it didn't really grip me as something that I just had to continue reading.  Though I will probably read Spells... in hopes that it will get better story wise.  :)

6 comments:

YA Book Lover said...

I have always been intrigued by this book because the cover is so simple yet so beautiful. It does sound like a very interesting take on faeries, but I, too, despise love triangles. If I come across this book, I may read it just because the new faerie concept has me intrigued but I am not going to rush out and buy it.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

it was a quick decent read i guess i mean i don't think there was a lot of deph to most of the characters and i didn't connect with laurel well uh hum good luck Miley Cyrus = epic fail xD

StephTheBookworm said...

This one has never really interested me much. I think I'll pass on it after reading this.

SpunkiiReader said...

Your Welcome! I would have to agree with you that I loved the originality of the story it just wasnt one of my instant favs. and I completely agree with you about love triangles! Im tired of them! and I also loved David and couldnt stand Tamani. but I did think Spells was better.

Ky said...

@ Nikki PHEW! Good! I was hoping it got better! I mean the whole trolls plot was sooooooo lame. Like really? Come on. Yawn. Lolz

SpunkiiReader said...

well they come back and make an appearance in the next one too but there is a whole lot of other stuff going on and you'll probably hate tamani more :)