BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review: The Ghost and the Goth

Synopsis: After a close encounter with the front end of a school bus, Alona Dare goes from Homecoming Queen to Queen of the Dead. Now she’s stuck here in spirit form with no sign of the big, bright light coming to take her away. To make matters worse, the only person who might be able to help her is Will Killian, a total loser/outcast type who hates the social elite. He alone can see and hear her, but he wants nothing to do with the former mean girl of Groundsboro High. Can they get over their mutual distrust—and this weird attraction between them—to work together before Alona vanishes for good and Will is locked up for seeing things that don’t exist?

My Review:  I received an ARC copy of The Ghost and the Goth courtesy of We Love YA! Book Tours today when I went and got the mail.  A few hours later... I'm DONE!  I don't know whether I'm just mentally disturbed or if it was just that good.  Probably a bit of both.  :P  To say the least, it was a great read! 

Besides the utterly adorable and rather hysterical cover, it had a pretty awesome story.  The Ghost and the Goth was a more light-hearted approach to the issue of death that has become so prevalent in YA novels of late.  It still deals with the same heavy issues, but the writing was so much more sarcastic and witty that it really had me laughing more than anything. Alona is your traditional "perfect-popular" girl with a not so perfect home life.  It's a pretty common character type, but I didn't mind it at all.  In ways I agreed and totally despised her at times.  She's one of those characters you just love to hate, but then sympathize with because  you know deep down that you can be just as small minded and petty as she is.  Twisted sort of realization isn't it?  It's easy to think that you wouldn't be the snarky biotch of highschool if you were in her shoes, but when you face reality and your own actions... is it so true?  I always find it humbling to read about these type of characters and Alona was no exception.  I really enjoyed her character because she wasn't the typical demeaning make you hate yourself type of prep.  She had great wit and sarcasm and more than anything just spoke her mind. 

I really enjoyed Will's character as well.  What can I say?  I have a thing for dark haired, blue eyed, musically secluded, quiet guys.  It's a weakness.  Now if only he had a sword....  I can't imagine being able to see and hear the dead.  I just start thinking of The Sixth Sense and "I see dead people" and Bruce Willis and just gah.  Nightmare. M. Night Shamalan, that is like one of the two good movies you have ever directed!  I liked that Will wasn't some goth type like Alona originally thought.  His fashion sense, or rather lack there of, is a result of trying to hide from the ghosts he constantly sees and tries to ignore.  Marcy, his iPod, is his constant companion to "shut them up" and suffers because everyone thinks he's crazy.  Being diagnosed as a schizophrenic and being threatened to be locked up in some psyche ward?  Not fun.  As always he turned out to be a wonderful guy that I would love to date (even with all the black) and wish guys were that cool in real life.  Total bummer man.  Reading about all these dream guys?  Not doing my self esteem much good.  :P

As I said earlier, I was laughing throughout this whole book.  Not just the writing, but the dialogue, and just how the characters thought had me cracking up.  And of course I loved the shout out to The Matrix!  "There is no spoon," says the bald headed child.  *giggles*  Yes I'm an obsessive movie fanatic, don't judge.  Someday my skillz will come in handy I tell yee!  It was just a cute story that I really enjoyed.  I liked the fact that it took a rather serious plot line and made it up beat and easy to enjoy without getting all depressed.  I loved the ending line as well, but you'll just have to wait to read it because I'm not gonna spoil it!  ^.^  I am rather hoping for a sequel.  Though I'm unlikely to get one.  I can still hope right?  Overall, a great fun quick read that everyone will enjoy.  :) 

5 comments:

Khadija said...

i'm on this tour...it looks like a good read :) Great Review Ky! :D

Darlyn said...

Sarcastic and witty sounds interesting ;p

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Most people are loving this book. I have to admit I probably would have not looked twice at it because of the cover. It sounds like it is a fun read kind of like Carpe Demon was :)

SpunkiiReader said...

I had thought about reading it but Im not that into ghost books, but after your review I'll give this one a shot...

Blueicegal ♥ said...

glad you enjoyed it kay kay :) sounds like a fun read! :)