BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

My mother and I went on a bit of a movie binge today.  I think we got five movies... we're on our 4th currently. Though I'm not really watching it, since I'm on here writing this movie review.  :P Truthfully the only reason I picked this movie up was because I know the book is an international best-seller.  I know what you're thinking.  Books that have been made into movies = epic fail.  Now I haven't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo yet, but I can definitely assure you that the movie does not suck.

I was kind of annoyed at first when I discovered that the entire movie was in Swedish.  Then again I guess the French previews should have been a big clue... I quickly got over the subtitles.  While I don't mind subtitles, I find that they rather detract from the movie when you have to constantly READ what everyone's saying instead of being able to watch the movie.  Like I said, I got over it.  I went into the movie only having a vague sense of what the story was.  It really drew me in almost immediately.  I really liked Mikael's character.  I always admire a reporter with good instincts and a moral sense of right.  Do such reporters exist in the real world?  Well that's open to debate, but I like my good fictional characters.  ^.^   While waiting to serve his time in prison for libel against a business tycoon, he is asked to investigate a 40 year old murder case.  His investigation to find out the killer turns into a terrifying murder mystery of not just one girl, but five.

Meanwhile, meet Lisbeth.  A heavily tattooed, pierced, goth, brilliant hacker who is investigating Mikael for the very same people that hired him.  She believes that he was framed, and not guilty of the crime he was accused of.  She becomes intrigued by him and with a little illegal digging around on his computer hard drive, discovers the murder case he is investigating.  Besides Lisbeth's computer brilliance, she has a darker past.  She needs to have a "guardian" to keep an eye on her in order to keep herself out of a psychiatric ward.  Her new guardian is a sick twisted bastard who cuts her off from her accounts and makes her trade sexual favors for access to her bank account.  He ends up raping her, driving home the point that he is in control of her life.  Lisbeth secretly hid a camera in her bag and records the whole thing.  She exacts her own revenge and gains her freedom from him.  I really loved her character.  She was strong, defiant, smart, and above all believed in herself above all others.  She was at times introverted and never talks about her past due to a traumatic experience as a child.  Even though the full back story is never fully explained, it's hinted at in the movie.  She's not afraid to be different and is a tough biotch, and I greatly admired her strong character.

When Mikael and Lisbeth join forces to fully uncover what truly happened 40 years ago things certainly get interesting.  New leads pop up with the help of Lisbeth's new angle of looking at things, and the duo starts to dig up trouble.  As more and more clues are uncovered and the body count keeps growing things really get intense.  Things fall into place and when the true identity of the murder is revealed it's rather shocking.  I can honestly say I had no clue who the true killer was.  They had me totally fooled into believing it was someone else, only to go PSYCHE! and turn around to point at a different character.  I thought things would be nicely and neatly tied up when the killer was caught but I was I wrong.  I of course forgot the main reason for the investigation in the first place.  In the end things do wrap up, but it took a little longer than I was expecting.  The ending had me laughing at the audacity of Lisbeth.  She's a tricky little turd for sure.  It made me laugh and congratulate her on her brilliance.

I will definitely be reading the book!  (This is a trilogy right?)  I can't wait to read them!  Oh and just one more thing.  The dragon tattoo on her back was beautiful! Whoever did that amazing artwork I worship you!  That was utterly fantastic!  Here's the book cover if anyone's interested in reading it!  I guarantee I'll have this bought and added to my collection within three days.  :P 

5 comments:

Darlyn said...

Now i think i better read the book rather than watch the movie *sigh*

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I loved the movie. The only thing about the book (and I loved it too) is that the beginning is VERY slow. Once you get past the trial/financial part which is much larger in the beginning of the book, it is fantastic :) So stick with it :)

Eleni @ La Femme Readers said...

Nice review! I just bought the movie and luckily they have an option for a dubbed version. So yay no need to read while watching it. :) I am halfway into it and loving it so far. :)

angelatarantula said...

great review!!! I definitely recommend this book to everybody it's just so amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on the girl who played with fire and the girl who kicked the hornets nest. THIS SERIES IS PROMISING!

KWbookfanatic said...

I gave your blog an award, come to by blog to collect!

www.kwbookfanatic.blogspot.com

I have found this movie on netflix and plan to watch it. I am currently reading the book.