BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 3, 2010

You're being WATCHed!

YAY!  So I finished this in two sittings.  Partially due to the fact that I had two days to read it before I had to return it to the library because it was on 7 day loan... so I read ALL morning and go tit finished by 1:45!  HA!  I win!  Okay so not really... I'm just REALLY hyper right now.  Even though it's 1:30 in the morning...

Synopsis: Webmind is an emerging consciousness that has befriended Caitlin Decter and grown eager to learn about her world. But Webmind has also come to the attention of WATCH-the secret government agency that monitors the Internet for any threat to the United States-and they're fully aware of Caitlin's involvement in its awakening.

WATCH is convinced that Webmind represents a risk to national security and wants it purged from cyberspace. But Caitlin believes in Webmind's capacity for compassion-and she will do anything and everything necessary to protect her friend.

My Review:  As you probably gathered from the synopsis this is the sequel to WWW: Wake. (To read my review on WWW: Wake click HERE!)   I immediately fell in love all over again, just like I had done with Wake.  WWW: Watch is a great continuation of Caitlin's and Webminds story.  I just realized how hard it is to review the sequel to a book without giving spoilers... eep!   Okay... ah.... dang.  Well here goes nothing. 

Webmind has continued to evolve and has gained a better understanding of humanity.  What makes Webmind so unique in the science fiction world is the fact that he wasn't created by man.  So many movies like the Matrix, Terminator, etc. portray AI as being evil and wanting to destroy humanity.  Well first of all, who could blame them?  Humans are self destructive, it would make sense to wipe us out.  We kill each other, animals, and the planet.  Hello?!  Anyway... Webmind is a self emergent AI.  In his own form of evolution he emerged.  While in this book, the technical parts of it were less mind blowing it was still very interesting to read about.  Ideas of the emergence of consciousness as well as evolution, and natural selection all wrap around each other in a complicated story line.  I find it all rather mind boggling.  The universe is infinite?  You think THAT'S mind blowing?  Try reading these books!  I've had to literally put the book down and stop and think about what was just discussed several times!  It's all just so interesting and mind blowing that I can't help but love it. 

The WATCH agency really had me creeped out.  So of course I know that everything you post on the internet is there FOREVER.  Even if you delete it, there's still traces of it.  WATCH is really rather intimidating.  I think that talking with someone on IM is secure?  HA!  Try again!  They can tap into that stuff!  Not to mention Skype videos, and your email, blog account, etc.  It's just creepy as hell!  I'm rather paranoid about it now... well since I'm not a terrorist I guess I don't have anything to worry about.  HA!  I really enjoyed watching the staff at WATCH freak out over Webmind though.  Made me laugh soooooo hard!  Especially when Webmind just totally owned them.  Makes me smile just thinking about it.  Hehehe!  

Meanwhile, Caitlin is still trying to adjust to seeing the world for the first time.  Simple things like leaves changing colors are mind blowing to her.  One of the many things I enjoy about Caitlin's character is that she's so knowledgeable.  I mean she's sixteen and I swear she's smarter than any of my teachers.  O.O Well at least in the math and quantum physics department.  Haha!  I'm really kind of jealous her father is a genius at quantum physics.  That would be SO COOL!  *secret science geek here*  While she is a brainiac she's still very naive with certain things, so it's a nice balance to her character.  Slight spoiler here.  Very slight.  I loved how Caitlin likes the unexpected guy.  He's not gorgeous or a jock, but a math geek like herself.  He's sweet, caring, and has a good sense of humor.  One of my favorite aspects of the love interest is how Caitlin views attractiveness.  She's gone through her whole life not being able to see other people.  Her idea of "attractive" is being symmetrical.  It really made me realize how much the media and magazines and Hollywood has conditioned everyone on who should be attractive.  Rather sickening if you think about it.  It's really nice to finally read about an attractive girl falling for the geeky nerd.  Victory for nerds everywhere!  Woot!  It's what inside that counts.  I know, I know.  Everyone says that, but truthfully does anyone actually listen to that advice?  Didn't think so. 

And if you read my other review on the first book, you know how I had those issues with a few of the other story lines?  Well I'm glad to say that they were actually relevant!  Yay!  The side story with Hobo actually blended with the main one to a certain extent.  The other side plot with the Chinese government, I now realize had relevance.  It created a huge amount of back story that was important for the sequel.  So everything worked itself out in the end.  I just couldn't see it at first!  So in the end, I have absolutely no complaints about these books.  Completely wonderful.  Refreshing, unique, and just rather epic.  Can I say more?  Well I can't think of anything else, so I guess not!  Haha!  Other than of course I WANT THE THIRD!  :) 

2 comments:

Blueicegal ♥ said...

What ev errr dopey its been on your sidebar like forever *rolls eyes* that was a pretty nifty review however and don't ask why im awake i don't know either in fact im very confused and drowsy i think i should go now..hmm goodbye kay bear! :D

Ky said...

Why ARE you awake? It's like what? 5 in the morning? Geeze girl! Do you ever sleep?! I thought I was bad! And hey! It was not! I was like a day late in changing it! 2 days! Come on!