BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Review: Soulless + Sno Cone!

Synopsis: Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

My Review: I loved, loved, LOVED this book! I found this book deliciously fresh, funny, and just utterly fantastic!  Did you like my alliteration?  Lolz.  I've heard good things about this book for a while now and when I saw it at my local bookstore I just HAD to buy it!  And I am ever so glad I did! 

I love historical fiction, so intertwining 19th century England with the paranormal was just my cup of tea.  ^.^ Oh dear, I'm going to be making very bad jokes throughout this review.  I found Alexia's character most hilarious!  She was a great mix of a proper English lady and a horribly upfront and rude snob.  It was most endearing to say the least.  If I was ever magically transported back in time to Victorian England I imagine I would act much like Alexia.    She's well read, says what's on her mind, and doesn't take any crap from anyone, including the sexy Lord and werewolf Connal Maccon.  Alexia is different from the average English woman more so than her snarky attitude.  She is darker skinned and has a Roman nose thanks to her Italian father.  She not only inherited her physical traits from her father, but his lack of a soul as well. 

One of the aspects I loved so much about this novel was the supernatural characters! The common held explanation for the existence of vampires, werewolves, and ghosts is an over excess of soul.  I thought that this was highly original and I greatly enjoyed the new twist on the supernatural world.  I loved how the author kept certain aspects of tradition vampire and werewolf lore the same, and still added her own twist.  Werewolves can change into their wolf form on command, but every full moon they HAVE to change and loose all control and become rampaging monsters.  Vampires have also been tweaked slightly.  They still can't go out in the daylight but their social structure is very different.  There are vampire Hives and only the Queens of the Hives can create a new vampire.  This almost feudal system of vampire society was very cool in my opinion and I greatly enjoyed it.  In particular I adored Lord Akeldama!  As a review from Amazon put it "Alexia's outrageous, italic-wielding gay best vampire friend."  He was utterly adorable and hysterical!  I wish he was MY best friend.  He would give me the best fashion advice and call me silly pet names like muffin and petunia.  ^.^

Overall it was just simply a fantastic read that I could not put down!  I only wish I got to read it all in one sitting!  I came across the sequel a few weeks ago and I almost bought it but I hadn't had a chance to read the first one yet so I didn't buy it.  I'm wishing I had!  I'm dying for the sequel! 

And onto the sno-cone!  And hey guess what?  Google docs is stupid!  It said that my form hadn't been accessed since May 30th and surprise surprise when I actually went and opened the file people had been filling it out all June!  Imagine my delight.  ^.^  Once again here's the LINK if you haven't already entered!

Sno-Cone Flavor: Frog in a Blender (Green apple and tutti frutti)
 Taste: Anything that has the name "Frog in a Blender" is just utterly fantastical

Are you wondering why there was barely a mention of sexy werewolf Lord Maccon?  Haha!  Not to worry!  I was saving the best for last!  *wink*  Lord Maccon is everything a young English lady could ever want.  He's a Lord, an earl, works for the Queen, is very good looking, and oh, did I mention he was a werewolf?  He's the Alpha of the local pack, and though he doesn't look it, he's over 200 years old.  Oh and did I mention he is Scottish?  Is it just me or are Scottish accents just HAWT.  Well Scottish, Irish, and British accents are all rather delicious.  I loved that whenever he was particularly flustered or angry he slipped back into his Scottish manner of speaking.  It was very adorable.  ^.^   Besides his hot accent he is also pretty hot himself.  He's sturdily built like any Alpha werewolf would be and has the temper to boot.  He's rather a bit of a hot head and he and Alexia match wits more than a few times.  His attempts at behaving like a proper English gentleman often backfire and he's not afraid to get down and dirty in the back of a carriage.  XD

Melt-Rating:  Evaporated.  I'm an utter goner for this sexy werewolf.   

6 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

So I was waiting on someone that I follow to review this book, now I must pick it up :) I have not heard one negative thing--so it must be a great read!

Can't wait to read it :)

Leilani @Leilani Loves Books said...

I want to read this!
And yes, It is M/M it was my first one and was pretty interesting.

SpunkiiReader said...

I have seen this book around but never learned what it was about. but if you liked it so much I'll have to give it a try.

Medeia Sharif said...

I recently bought this, and your review has affirmed my belief that I'll enjoy it immensely.

cynthial11 said...

How in the world have I not heard of this book before??? There's werewolves, vampires and ghosts!! All of my favorite things, thanks so much for the awesome review Ky, I'll be looking for this one. =)

Khadija said...

another one to add to the never ending list of books i need to read....great review :)