BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Review of They Call Me Death!

Synopsis: Humans are no longer at the top of the food chain…
My name is Alexia Williams. In my world, North America is divided between north and south—but not the way it’s taught in the history books.
After losing my family to the shifters, I joined the Combined Human States Army. Now I find myself on the front lines, defending the wall between my species and theirs. My mission is simple: keep the animals on their side by whatever means necessary—and I’m good at it. I don’t talk to them. I don’t sympathize with them. I sure as hell don’t admire them…until one saves my life.
Andor isn’t like any shifter I’ve ever met. He’s a three-hundred-year-old golden eagle asking for help finding missing shifters who may be in my lands. I just have to decide between helping the animals or ignoring signs that my fellow humans aren’t what I thought they were. But how can I help a species I hate and fear? Even if Andor makes me feel alive again?
In the land of the shifters…they call me Death.

My Review: They Call Me Death is definitely one of those books that surprise you.  Going into it I wasn't expecting to fall in love with the characters or the story, but boy did I!  The comparison to the Civil War does not due the split that has ripped humanity justice.  Shifters are out in the open and due to over zealous youngsters, created a bloody take over turned all out war with the rest of mankind.  Alexia lost her husband and child at the beginning of the conflict, when her own neighbors turned violently against her and her family.  Since then, Alexia has never looked back.  A wall runs across the country, from sea to shining sea, separating the shifter inhabited north, from the solely human south.  However, things are not as cut and dry as Alexia believes them to be.  Pretenses that she has long held start to shift and change when the people she knows turn out to be more twisted than any shifter. 

Alexia is a very strong heroine that I greatly admire.  She's gone through things I can barely even imagine, and yet she still has the guts to fight on the front lines every day trying to keep the shifters from crossing the wall.  Now I want to get one thing straight.  Yes Alexia has killed many shifters from the on-start of the war.  This does not make her a blood thirsty psycho!  She never set out to become the world's top shifter killer and by no means was she keeping score either.  She simply did her job.  She's not cruel and doesn't get any enjoyment out of watching others suffer.  Her ability to keep her convictions and not let revenge rule her judgment is one of the many things that I love about her character.  She's the tough macho kick ass no-nonsense aunt I never had.  She long ago stopped caring about her vanity and wears army fatigues every day.  Her one bit of femininity is her long hair, and even then her reasoning behind letting it get so long was that she kept forgetting to get it cut.  (Actually... she does remind me of one of my aunts...lol)  As the story progresses she struggles to balance what she has always believed to be true, and the shocking truth of just how dark and twisted man can be.  She begins to realize that being a shifter doesn't make you a monster, and that there are plenty of sick bastards on her side of the wall to worry about. 

I loved the world of the shifters.  If I could be any paranormal creature I would be a shifter.  Hands down.  Coincidentally enough I would probably shift into a falcon or hawk.  Imagine my surprise when Andor turned out to be a Golden Eagle.  I admit... I squealed a bit.  I have this crazy fascination with birds of prey.  I've wanted a Peregrine Falcon since I was a kid.  I know.  I'm weird.  I thought we already established this?  :P The whole world of shifters, both socially and politically, is fascinating.  I really enjoyed the Alpha of the shifters, and thought it only fitting that he was a wolf.  I have to admit, the shifter world still has me a it baffled.  The story doesn't really follow shifter politics, but it left me craving for more.

I adored Alexia, the shifters, and of course the love interest.  Andor is a 300 year old Golden Eagle, yet despite being a shifter, he saved Alexia's life.  In a world where you are judged by whether you are human or a shifter, Andor doesn't judge or have preconceived notions about Alexia.  He makes the effort to treat her as a regular person, not Death as many shifters call her.  One of the greatest aspects of this book was the romance.  It didn't dive into erotic sex scenes after a few chapters.  It wasn't love at first sight or any such nonsense.  That is on of the biggest things that bothers me about Paranormal Romance.  "You're pretty hot"-"So are you" and poof instant love.  Huh?!  I loved the fact that Andor and Alexia actually had a FOUNDATION for their relationship.  It wasn't based on lust or physical attraction, but because they loved each other for the PERSON they were.  I enjoyed watching Alexia's character grow and evolve as the story progressed.  She really changes before your eyes, yet she still remains the kick ass, don't mess with me, gun wielding Alexia we all know and love. 

I was pleased to get a happy ending though I'm still wanting more!  Overall, a wonderful story full of unique concepts and characters!  If you would like to read the prologue to this amazing story follow the LINK!   

6 comments:

Paper Cut Reviewer said...

Loved this book! Great review Ky:) I can't wait to read part three of the prequel;) Oh btw part two is up on my blog:p

Blueicegal ♥ said...

sounds great! and congrats on your 100 followers chick :)

ALN said...

I have an award for you over at my blog!

Missy said...

Awesome review!

Award: http://bit.ly/bNOv2G

Missy Jane said...

THANK YOU!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I feel the same as you about "instant" love in paranormals. It irks me to no end.

Chas @ LLL in the 808 said...

It's always a treat to see the progression in characters and in relationships. It almost feels like as readers we have an insight that no one else does. So i agree- the progression and growth with the characters of this novel made it all the more a great read!!!