BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

On a faerie high...

 Wondering why you didn't see this under the "Currently Reading" widget?  Considering I read almost all of it in just a few short hours I didn't really have time to change my book status.  Lol.  I refused to put it down until I got a very angry "GO TO BED" from mi padre.  I finished it this morning while watching ANTM I'm ashamed to say.  I'm horrible I know.  I just can't help myself. 

Synopsis: It has been 20 years since the war between faeries and humans destroyed everything. Liza, a teenager living in what was once the Midwest, has always been taught that magic kills. When Lizas mother gives birth to a faerie baby with hair clear as glass, her father abandons the infant on a hillside to die; Lizas mother then runs away, and Liza begins to have magical visions of her own. Petrified that her powers might cause death, Liza flees into the woods with her friend Matthew, only to be attacked by deadly trees and rescued by a woman with magic. The plot quickens as Liza realizes that the woman is connected to her mothers past, knowledge that propels Liza into a dangerous journey into the land of Faerie, in search of her
mother.

My Review:  When I picked this up at the library and did my Kiss and Tell post I gave it a pre-reading rank of 8.  Oddly enough I was spot on!  You know I love faeries.  I have tons of books about them, huge ass posters of awesome faerie artwork, cards, and figurines.  Don't look at me like that!  It's my obsession okay?!  So it's a real shock for me to say that something faerie related was stand out.  That's always the trouble with faerie novels.  They all really resemble each other.  I'm very pleased to say that Bones of Faerie was absolutely original and just an utterly unique story that captured my attention almost immediately.  

It has been 20 years since the War between fae and humanity ended.  Magic is feared more than anything.  When Liza's sister is born with clear glass like hair, she is left for dead on a hillside.  Liza is haunted by what she saw that night, and is guilt ridden that she could not save her sister.  Shortly after her sisters brutal death, her mother disappears as well.  Left with a cruel and bitter father, who is more than willing to beat Liza for the smallest indiscretion, Liza struggles with the fear that she herself has been cursed by magic.  She fleas, fearing that she will harm those closest to her. 

I loved the idea that the Fae and humanity were at war with each other.  If you think about it, it really does make sense.  Humanity is fearful of things they do not understand, and the Fae despise modern technology and humanities treatment of nature.  Both sides were horribly scared after the War.  The time Before, where airplanes soared across the skies and television still broadcasted the news, is a time of myth for Liza.  It's difficult for her to imagine anything from Before.  The War has left the world so scared and withered that dreams of a time where it was not like it is now, is pure fantasy.  The War not only left humanity without modern conveniences and a hateful fear of magic, but the way nature has changed in response to the War is downright creepy.  Where weeds fight back, crops resist being harvested, and trees seek blood instead of water; it's not somewhere I would want to live. 

Perhaps even more frightening than the landscape are the people.  Humanity has truly reverted back to primal times.  It is literally a dog eat dog world, where survival is all that matters.  Strangers are instantly mistrusted, kindness rarely is shown.  To make sure magic cannot taint them, everyone is encouraged to "cast those touched by magic out".  More than a few new born infants met their end on a cold hillside and wild dogs.  It's truly horrifying to think of what man will do to survive.  It disgusted me, yet at the same time I knew this is exactly how humanity is.  We're an ugly and brutal race.  When technology fails and all modern conveniences disappear, that is when we show our true colors.  The authors portrayal of the human psyche was dead on.  Although not everyone in the novel is so brutal.  There is a clear contrast later on in the novel, where people still cling desperately onto any semblance of civilization and the sense of kindred spirits from Before.  It shows humanity at it's worst and at it's best.  I would hope that if anything similar would devastate our world, that most of us would chose the high road and do what was right. 

Why did this receive an 8 if I loved it so much?  My only critiques are rather minimal.  I wish it was longer.  This had the potential to be an amazing wonderful story with tons of plot twists, surprises, and romance.  I just felt like it was a much larger story than what was actually on paper.  The world, the characters, and the plot were all wonderful but it could have been so much more. 

Overall I'm glad I picked this up.  I'm on a faerie high right now, I admit it, but this novel was truly stand out.  It was thought provoking, disturbing, and gave you a spark of hope as well.  I greatly enjoyed this and recommend it to anyone who wants an original fey story and a quick read.  :)  

6 comments:

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i think i was about to read this once don't know what happened but by the sound of it i missed out, awesome review chick :)

Leilani @Leilani Loves Books said...

haha, yup, only 63 pages. Its really good though. Katie is one of my author friends. :) Im giving away this book in my contest this week!
Great review BTW.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Great review! An 8 is worthy of getting in trouble for and not going to bed on time :)

cynthial11 said...

Great review,and I love faerie books so I need to pick this one up!

Michael Antonio Araujo said...

Hey KY!

http://thesubtlechronicler.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-first-award-d.html

I just gave you an award! Check it out!

SpunkiiReader said...

Ive been on a faerie high also, I read Iron King, the Fablehaven series, then Radiant Shadows, and now I am reading Wings... and this one has been on my tbr list for a while... I still want Iron Daughter.. how does netgalley work? can anyone get books and are they free?