BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Iron King

I finally got my hands on this book!  About time!  You'd think of my love for all things faerie that I would have gotten this sooner, alas I am a shameful person and just finished it today. And I'm already reading the second one... haha... ha. I'm sick I know.  Shut up.   

 Synopsis: Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan’s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she’s known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she’ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

My Review:  I kind of have mixed feelings on this book.  It's hard to describe.  I really liked a lot of aspects of it, just something just seemed a tad off throughout the whole book.  Hhmmm, maybe after sorting through my thoughts I'll figure it out.

I have mixed feelings on Meghan.  I adore the fact that she's a farm girl in bayou Louisiana.  Louisiana was the least likely place I could have expected for this novel to take place in, but somehow it works.  Then again I practically love anything Louisiana.  (Oh yes I am a True Blood/ Sookie Stackhouse fan through and through) I thought she was a very refreshing character, especially since the plot is the classic "You're a lost faerie princess" story.  She wasn't what I was expecting, and I really liked her as a person.  At the same time I got very frustrated with her as well.  Especially at the beginning.  She is just so naive and innocent it's almost painful.  I wanted to smack her more than a few times throughout the novel.  She just keeps getting herself deeper and deeper into faerie debts and favors.  I both like and abhor the fact that Meghan is not your fearsome warrior/ magically powerful lost heir to the throne princess.  I liked the fact that she didn't have an unearthly amount of magical power that was easily accessible to her.  Being a faerie doesn't come naturally to her, her human side far outweighing what should be natural fey ability.  Of course everyone keeps saying that "there is great power within you" blah blah blah.  So I know eventually there will be a power blow out, but I appreciated the fact that the author kept Meghan's magical exploits to a minimum.  However, Meghan is such a damsel in distress I wanted to throw something.  One of the few things I cannot stand are female main characters who cannot take care of themselves!  I'm not asking that she be an epic martial artist with awesome ninja skills.  Just some fight in her would be nice!  Thrashing about wildly, and swinging blindly does not count. 

The faerie world I have just as much mixed feelings about.  While it's a classic parallel to a Midsummer Nights Dream, it kind of bothered me with the unoriginality of it.  I didn't like any of the Faerie Monarchs, which granted I suppose I don't really need to like them on a basic character level, but I just didn't like the way they were portrayed.  It's hard to describe.  I almost felt let down by the faerie monarchs.  I guess the best way to describe it, was that they didn't seem like fully rounded characters.  I felt like they were just tossed in there because, well there needs to be faerie monarchs.  Titania particularly bothered me.  I mean I've never read a Midsummer Nights Dream, but still, I don't think she was that much of a Queen Biotch.  Maybe I'm wrong here, but it still bothered me.   And since when is Mab the Winter Queen?  Maybe I'm mixing  up my faerie lore here but I thought she was the Queen of Spring?  Or Fall?  Ah god.  Never mind. 

On the other hand I thought the added element of the Iron Fey was GENIUS!  I absolutely adored the concept!  So original and unique!  With every faery novel that is put out, the author always has to add some twist to keep it from becoming boring and boy did Julie Kagawa succeed in that department!  I don't want to give too much away on this point, but I just have to say that it was a wonderful idea.  I was very pleased with the added twist to the novel, and I'm sure other readers were as well.  I'm looking forward to more conflicts with the Iron Fey.  I'm sure epic battles await! 

A little note on other characters... I LOVE PUCK!  So yes Ash is hunky and adorable in the dark brooding kind of way.  Alas, I am a sucker for the funny guy.  ^.^  Any guy who can make me laugh THAT much, fictional or otherwise, has won the key to my heart.  He was just so great!  I wish I had a BFF like him.  He would make my days so much brighter, flaming red hair and all.  XD  I also really liked Grimalkin (spelling?)  He reminded me of Mogget from Sabriel and the Chesire Cat.  He just added a nice touch to the story in my opinion. 

Overall, I'm still a bit undecided on this novel.  I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it.  I'm hoping as I get farther into The Iron Daughter I'll grow to like it more.  Off to go read it!!! *insert maniacal laugh here*

11 comments:

Michael Antonio Araujo said...

I've been wanting to get this. I guess I can officially add it to my list of novels to get. =D

I read a faeries novel for the first time and it was kind of eh but I still liekd it.

Maybe this one will be better for me. Epic review =D

Leilani @Leilani Loves Books said...

I actually picked this one up. I no finally! lol, glad you liked it. Im on like page 5 :) im getting there.
Thanks again for giving it for my contest Ky!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

awesome review kay, this book sounds amazing heard so much about it :)

Amelia said...

Hey Ky! I just reviewed this book this week too.
I love what you said about the faerie monarchs. You're absolutely right - Julie Kagawa took characters from Shakespeare and absolutely butchered them. It would have been different if she'd just made up characters or something, but having Titania and Mab BOTH be evil, nasty bitches kinda screwed her characterization. I don't know--I'm droning on. I just like that you saw what I saw :P Now I don't feel like a loser anymore, YAY!
Cant wait to read your IRON DAUGHTER review :)

Ky said...

100 pages into the Iron Daughter. I just realized how much I truly hate the whole star-crossed lovers doomed from the start plotline. *headdesk* Oh the horror.

No kidding! Titania I just did not understand! I was just like "huh? wait a minute here." And God why does Winter always have to be an evil blood thirsty bitch?! Lol. We can both be losers together. :P

AtenRa said...

I may be the only one left that has not read this book yet!
Ky,I did not read the review because I'm afraid it might be spoilery.Is it?

SpunkiiReader said...

I read this book and rather loved it. but I dont have the aversion to the monarchs, I think Titania has the right to be a biotch, I mean Meghan is the child of her husband's affair with a human.

and how do you have Iron Daughter? I have been entering every contest trying to get it before it comes out and have come up with nothing :(

Ky said...

@ AtenRA I tried to be careful. It should be spoiler free. I didn't really discuss anything that happened.

@ SpunkiiReader *grins* NetGalley This is why I love eBooks. XD

AtenRa said...

OK thanks, I've read it now.
I don't know if that was what you were trying to put across,but your review made me wanna read it even more than before!

Ky said...

@ AtenRa haha I honestly don't know whether I like it or not. Glad that it made you want to read it though. Just trying to give my honest opinion on it.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Imagine this: I totally agree with you :)

On Meghan: I love her as a person and at times felt she was portrayed a little to "girly" for how she is aka oh go fight for me and oh Ash. She would have at least "tried" in my opinion.

Puck: You know I love him as much as you do! Great Character!

Grim: I loved him too and in fact find them my fav 2 in the series!