BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Iron Daughter

*evil laughter* YES!  I'm done!  Huray!  *dances around*  Ah man!  I just realized I have to read Winter's Passage now!  AH!  Great, now I'm going to be glued to the computer for a few more hours.  Lol. 

Synopsis: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.


My Review: So I have officially decided I like these books.  A few things about them still bother me, but I have made the conscious decision to become a bit of a fangirl.  I'm perfectly okay in admitting that fact, because well frankly I could be a fangirl for worse.  :P

The Iron Daughter doesn't pick up exactly where the Iron King left off so don't get all confused! At first I was a little peeved that there was such a time skip, until of course I remembered Winter's Passage, then everything was okay.  XD  I'm going to try really hard to not give away any of the plot, because frankly it would ruin it and I don't want angry comments or emails.  O.O

I definitely grew to like Meghan's character more in the sequel.  She's still a damsel in distress, but I'll admit most of the time it's not her fault so I can forgive her helplessness.  I felt that Meghan's character definitely grew throughout the story.  Through all of her ordeals in the Nevernever she never truly has a choice of her own, whether that be with Oberon or as a captive of Queen Mab.  If I were Meghan I probably have went "screw it" and went back home.  Though Meghan often wants to do this, she's a lot more caring than I am.  I really admire her stubborn will to do what is right.  She doesn't have ulterior motives for wanting to help, she truly cares and does what she thinks is right.  She's a very caring person, and is in stark contrast with all the conniving faeries who are trying to cause all sorts of mayhem. 

I have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of Meghan/Ash.  It's nothing against either of the characters, but I just hate the situations they have to go through.  First and foremost I LOATHE love triangles, so it kind of just ruined any of the sweet and fuzzy moments in the book.  If the love triangle hadn't been introduced I probably would have liked the idea of Ash and Meghan as a couple more.  Now, however, I can't truly say that I want Meghan to end up with either one of them!  It's so unfair to both parties.  Did I mention I HATE love triangles?  I was having serious flash backs to Twilight and that is NEVER  a good thing!  There was a whole "I have to pretend to hate you to protect you, but I still love you" moment in the beginning of the novel, and of course Meghan falls for it hook, line, and sinker.  Why is it always so obvious to the reader what a guy's true intentions are in moments like that, yet the character always reverts to being SUPER insecure about themselves!  Anyway... that is all I'm going to say on the matter.

At the end of the Iron King I kind of expected that to be the end of the Iron Fey.  Surprise!!!!  I was pleased that the conflict with the Iron Fey continued.  Then again since these books clearly say "An Iron Fey novel" you would have thought I would have picked up on that.  I don't want to get into too much, or else it will ruin some of the great plot twists, but I have to say one thing.  I adore Ironhorse!  I want him.  Even if he is a big huge hulking fire breathing iron horse.  I could keep him in my garage!  It would work!  There was a whole other side to the Iron Fey that you don't get to see in the Iron King and I was really pleased that these characters were more fleshed out. 

Overall I really liked the sequel.  It was action packed and full of adventure.  It made for a very entertaining read and kept my interest throughout the story.  Although I felt like I predicted the "twist" to it about twenty pages in, and I'm almost positive in how the third installment will unfold.  It's still not fully revealed in the Iron Daughter but you'll pick up on it no problem.  There are still lots of loose ties at the conclusion of the book, but of course I'll just have to wait for the third one! 



4 comments:

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I want to read this series. Maybe I'll become a conscious;y-decided fangirl as well. Thanks for the review.

Leilani @Leilani Loves Books said...

So glad you liked it!

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Great Review! I liked the second book more and really like the author's writing/storytelling ability! The characters introduced in this book were fun for me :) I still didn't warm up to M/A, probably more because while I like the moody guy--I don't like having to use another guy as the obvious I like you for who you are guy but you are never going to pick me- counterpart. I guess I was just hoping for something more original. However, the romance did not overshadow the book and that thrilled me. It was a story first, romance second and that was original--enjoyable! Winter's passage does give you the missing time, so you will have the complete story. I was sad at the with IH, I actually shed a tear!

Ky said...

@ Felicia I KNOW!!!! Poor IH! *cries* Did you guess the whole "plot twist" really early on in the book too? I just saw it coming a mile away.