BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Shadow of the Vampire

Two book reviews in one day?!  Shocking! I literally just finished this and I had to review it NOW!  Before I go to work that is.  Haha!

Synopsis: Even vampires should never sleep with the enemy.

Vampire princess Alexia Feodorovna has been undead for 125 years, so it's been a while since any man has made her pulse race. Until Declan Black. One look at his bronzed body and a fire like no other consumes her. Then she discovers that he's a dragon lord come to take revenge on the vamps who killed his parents. And claim a crystal said to imbue its owner with incredible powers.

Alexia is ordered to torture and kill the dragon lord. Yet with each reckless encounter, she finds herself consumed by his fiery passion. A passion Declan battles, as well. Will he be able to resist the fire of lust she kindles within him and keep revenge in his heart? Or will he risk everything to quench the burning desire and claim the vampire as his own?


My Review: I received this awesome book from netGalley and I am so glad Aly led me to that wonderful site!  Thank you my dear!  After reading the synopsis for this book I was most perplexed by "dragon lord."  What's a dragon lord?  Like is it a title or is he actually a DRAGON?! Ya well, he's a dragon.  A very tanned, hot, smexy dragon. *waggles eyebrows*  

At the start of the story I immediately sympathized with the dragons.  On the precipice of extinction, they struggle to evolve in a world full of humans,while trying to fight their vampire enemies.  Declan is the new king after both his parents have been murdered by the vampires.  He swears revenge, and on a suicide mission with his sister, attempts to steal a powerful crystal that he believes holds the salvation of his people.  Things, however, don't go according to plan.  Declan is captured by the heir to the vampire throne, Alexia.  


Alexia, who is stuck in her own version of hell, is not your typical vampire.  I found her character very refreshing and vulnerable.  While she is trained as a soldier and is in line for the throne, life isn't peachy.  Having been raped by her mothers lover, she lives in terror of his very presence.  She is a tool in his evil games and her mother is lost in his lies.  With no one on her side, she struggles to do what she feels is right, even if it against everything she has been taught.  Her attraction to Declan is immediate.  Drawn to his fierceness and bravery in battle she cannot help but admire him.  


Both Declan and Alexia try to fight their growing attraction to one another, knowing that to pursue it would condemn them as traitors to their own race.  I thought their relationship was believable, even though it was rather rushed.  Though they fell in love in just a few days, the premise for their love in each other was completely believable.  Alexia is just as much scared and battered as Declan, though in a different way.  The two of them have kindred spirits and they find a sense of completeness when they are together.  


Though the plot was at times predictable, there were still some surprises that threw me for a loop.  It is a great twist on the classic star-crossed lovers scenario, except it was ten times better because well there are vampires and dragons.  Duh.  Some unique ideas that I particularly loved was that dragons weren't just magical, intelligent beasts.  It was really quite awesome that dragons were shape shifters.  It made things a lot more interesting to say the least.  The whole war between vampires and dragons was also something unexpected.  Everyone knows that vampires and lycans hate each other, but I never ever expected dragons to be thrown in.  Very unique idea and I loved it.  I only had a few pet peeves concerning the writing.  Why must Alexia be clad in leather bustiers and five inch heel stripper boots? Just why?!  I just hate that!  >.<  Okay, well that was rather my only pet peeve.  Haha.  The only other thing I could possibly criticize is that I wish there was more back story.  There's this huge potential for amazing sub-plots and the history of both races.  While reading I felt like "oh well that's cool, but why?"  I felt like I didn't get to know any of the history or story of the characters.  However I think my little issue with that will be resolves later. *wink wink*  


The ending was nicely done and almost all loose ends were tied up.  However I am hoping for a sequel!  There are just a few unresolved little issues that are just demanding it!  I really want to know about the potential romance of two characters and of course want to know what becomes of the Vampire Horde.  Overall a great read that had me staying up till 2 in the morning and consequently getting chewed out.  :P  It was worth it though!   

2 comments:

Leilani @Leilani Loves Books said...

I read this book as well! I liked it very much. Dragons and vampires? Yum!
A little secret between me and you (and anyone else who reads this)
Im having a contest with the author soon!

Ky said...

AAAHHH!!! Leilani I just want to let you know that I love you, and that is the only reason that is holding me back from strangling you!!!