BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 30, 2010

New take on werewolves!

So it kind of took me a long while to read this.  Well it seems like it did, but in reality I only actually sat down and read the darn thing 3 or 4 times.  The last week of school, contests, work, and trying to have a social life kind of killed my reading time.  Though it took me over 2 weeks to complete, I completely adored it!  The amount of time it took me has no relation to the quality of the story whatsoever. I am in love with this book!  Since paranormal books have become so popular in recent years, I get tired of reading the same old vampire, werewolf,  faerie, (recently) fallen angels, and other mystical creatures.  Sharp Teeth was very refreshing and I thank my dear friend who loaned it to me!  You were right!  I loved it! 

Synopsis: An ancient race of lycanthropes has survived to the present day, and its numbers are growing as the initiated convince L.A.'s down and out to join their pack. Paying no heed to moons, full or otherwise, they change from human to canine at will—and they're bent on domination at any cost.

Caught in the middle are Anthony, a kind-hearted, besotted dogcatcher, and the girl he loves, a female werewolf who has abandoned her pack. Anthony has no idea that she's more than she seems, and she wants to keep it that way. But her efforts to protect her secret lead to murderous results.

Blending dark humor and epic themes with card-playing dogs, crystal meth labs, surfing, and carne asada tacos, Sharp Teeth captures the pace and feel of a graphic novel while remaining "as ambitious as any literary novel, because underneath all that fur, it's about identity, community, love, death, and all the things we want our books to be about"

My Review:  Yes this is written in prose! And don't you dare moan or groan!  It's just like reading an Ellen Hopkins book!  And frankly I wouldn't have this written any other way.  It's perfect the way it is.  This is going to be very hard to review, and probably very short because I do NOT want to give ANYTHING away!  It would ruin the whole book! 

The story was crafted beautifully!  At the beginning of the book there are so many different POV's that is hard to follow what's happening.  Especially because NOTHING is revealed.  There are talk of plans, but no explanation.  There are no explanations or why's or why not's.  It bothered me at first, but as the story continued I discovered that events naturally revealed themselves.  It was like a flower opening it's petals.  At first you see just the basics, yet with time everything is revealed.  The story progressed very naturally and all I can say is it was beautifully done.  Just utterly perfect.  I don't think I have ever said that about a plotline for a novel.  Ever.  Yet I'm saying it now.  It was just brilliant.  Everything that seemed totally random was ALL CONNECTED. 

Even though there were lots of different POV's and seemingly weird random sub plots I fell in love with each and every one.  With Anthony and his lover (you NEVER get to know her name) you get the joys of a budding relationship and the passions of love.  Lark is all about his plans.  Everything is a tricky game of balance.  When his plans crumble at his feet, he has to have his wits about him to stay alive and plot revenge.  The small man and his giant of a partner are mysterious in themselves and continually prod the cop Peabody to look deeper into what is happening in this city.  Barlow expertly skips from sub-story to sub-story, keeping the readers attention.  I was constantly anticipating what was going to happen next!  I wasn't wanting to skip over certain characters stories to go back to Anthony.  Usually that's what happens to me, but not with Sharp Teeth.  I find myself intrigued with every twist and turn in the plot. 

I absolutely adored the ending as well. For once a novel ended EXACTLY the way I wanted it to.  Everything was tied up nicely and there were no loose ends!  NONE!  I don't think that has ever happened before!  EVER!  As soon as I was finished I had to gush to my friend about it.  I got a very smug "I told you so" in return.  :P  And the last page is so chilling and freaky that it will make any dog owner give their pets a second look. 

This novel is dark, edgy, and often times brutal in it's life like descriptions of the drug and crime world.  Brutal murders, beatings, and ripping out the enemies throats are out there full on the table.  Though the more animal side of man is portrayed, you still get glimpses of the goodness of man, even if it's sometimes hard to find.  Wonderfully unique and dark!  Could you get anything better? 

4 comments:

Leilani @Leilani Loves Books said...

Did you say Werewolves!
Ky, you no I cant pass u werewolves! Were likes this *crosses fingers* other than me and vampires of course :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

oooh, i'm curious!!! Love your blog!

Darlyn said...

wow..i cant believe the review is good but the cover is really makes me curious!

Etana said...

aww...I loved this book too! It was so original. Anyways, great review! I'm glad to see that others have enjoyed it as much as me.