BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Manga Mash!

I read a book?!  WAH?!  Shocking I know, since I haven't managed to finish a book in what seems like forever! I'm currently reading two right now and my attention being split between two books when I know I have another one on the way is just maddening!  Okay so Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales isn't technically a book.  It's manga, but I LOVE manga so all is well!

Summary: The desert is far away from the schemes of the Faerie Courts—and that's how Rika likes it. Once a mortal and now a faery, Rika seeks isolation and revels in her ability to appear invisible to humans. Then, she meets him. Artistic and kind, Jayce is the last person Rika wants to hide from.

But change is coming, challenging Rika's freedom and her new romance, as her past pursues her, even into the heart of the desert. . . . 

My Review: So if you couldn't tell I absolutely adore Melissa Marr's books. Wicked Lovely is one of my all time favorite books so I was thrilled to find out that Melissa got a manga deal.  For some reason when I first read the description of Desert Tales, Rika just didn't click with me.  I was just like "Rika?  Who?" Of course after I re-read the first two books and then finished the series I was like "I HAVE TO READ THIS!" Amazingly my local (and only) bookstore had the first two volumes.  I bought the first one because it was used and in excellent condition and well graphic novels are pricey so I just wanted to see if I would like it.  And now I'm wishing I bought the second one too!   I literally read Vol. 1 in less than an hour!  I devoured it that quickly! 

I loved the fact that Marr decided to explore one of the previous Winter Girl's life after Keenan.  All of us fans know that Keenan fills you with false promises of love and then drops you like a fly once you turn out to not be his foretold Queen.  In the Wicked Lovely books we experience some of Donia's pain and loneliness while she was a Winter Girl, yet we get no glimpse at what life is like after a Winter Girl is freed of her duties.  Enter Rika.  After being freed from the dark and frozen life of a Winter Girl she heads into the desert, the one place free of the cold that haunts her dreams.  As a solitary fey she has no affiliations or loyalties to any court, and that's the way Rika likes it.  Even though Rika is free from the Summer Court, she is not accepted amongst the solitary fey either.  Her sole friend, Shionnach seems to have motives of his own.  However Rika cannot escape court politics as easily as she thinks.  Keenan makes an unexpected visit, offering protection for her fealty, an offer Rika would never accept. 

I'm glad that Rika has never forgiven Keenan.  He said he loved her, asked her to give up everything for him, and she suffered for her love.  It's nice to see that someone hates the bastard as much as I do.  I love Rika's character.  Artistic, appreciative of nature, and has an affinity for awesome ear piercings, she feels like a kindred soul.  She's fiery, fiercely loyal, and protective.  She's the strongest of any of the solitary fey, yet she doesn't flaunt or use her strength.  She just wants to be left alone, craving the life of a human.  A life that was stolen from her.  I also loved her love interest.  Jayce, a human, who comes out to the desert to draw, immediately draws Rika's attention. He is loving, easy going, artistic, and loves nature just as much as she does.  Yet Rika watches him while invisible.  She cannot risk involving him in the faery world, where it is as much cruel as beautiful. 

While the plot wasn't all that intriguing it is just a lovely side story that explores a set of intriguing characters.  It's not completely devoid of other Wicked Lovely characters, and the story lines connect nicely.  Beautifully drawn and a very quick read I would definitely recommend it.  The only down point I could possibly complain about is the fact that I read it so quickly!  I felt that a lot of the pages were simply drawings!  I wanted more dialogue!  Or internal thoughts!  Something!  I just can't wait to get my hands on Vol. 2!  I need more!!! 



2 comments:

blueicegal said...

it sounds great! lovely review kay :)

Darlyn said...

wow..wicked lovely in manga?that's cute!