BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Speak Your Mind


Yello!  So me and my wonderful friend Aly have come up with a rather strange and hopefully successful idea.   I’ll let Aly explain though.  Please welcome Aly from Fantasy4eva

Aly: Me and my fellow blogger, and friend, Kay were talking, and came to the conclusion that we should do something great together.  You see we’re both very opinionated and brutally honest, so we thought it had to be something unique; something that you don’t see very often.  So we came to the conclusion that the TWO of us would review a book together once a week.  Our different thoughts and opinions would make one hell of an interesting review.  We don’t know whether we will totally agree with one another or utterly clash, but I felt it would spice things up since we would have no idea what the other felt until the review had been done.  The title "Speak Your Mind" has been formed with the perfect duo! 

Today the on "Speak Your Mind" we’ll be reviewing a favorite of ours.  Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
Synopsis:
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.


Aly’s Review:  When I read the synopsis I knew I was going to love this book.  You know when you read a synopsis and it just clicks, like you know you’re going to love that book? It was just there, and I waited for a long while to finally get it, and it turned out to be greater than I expected, which just made it even more worthwhile.  Clay Jensen returns home one day to find a package with his name on it.  He proceeds to open this package, and discovers there are tapes for exactly 13 specific people, the haunting thing is Hannah is dead.   She committed suicide, and worst yet, Clay was in love with her and he never got to tell her that.  To me Clay seemed like my type of guy, calm, relaxed, kind of quiet, not arrogant and very sweet.   Maybe that’s why I related to him so much, Jay Asher obviously chose his main man well. The story is a sad yet a touching one.  Clay must go through each and every tape to get to his, and in order for him to do that, he must learn about Hannah, and the wrong doings that were done to her.  In the end he must hear what his part was in Hannah' death.  The thing is because Clay is so real and likable how he feel affects you deeply.   At times I didn’t know who I felt for more, Hannah or Clay. Through every tape Clay listens to, your breath hitches and you are in utter silence like Clay.  Your heart is beating and you feel as though you are in the same place Hannah was sitting.  Right there recording this very tape, even though its Clay feeling all of that you feel too, and you don’t know how to deal with it, because it feels too real for comfort.

Hannah is one of those who minds her own business, very mysterious and does her own thing.  I know those types, I used to be one of those girls.  I think the reason for me loving this book so much is because I also relate to Hannah so well.  I have had those dark moments, when I feel people don’t understand when you want everyone to go away.  It’s because I relate to her so much that I understand her so well, which is why it’s so sad there are a lot of chances for people to reach out for Hannah to help her.   People are just too selfish or they don’t want to open their eyes to what they don’t want to admit. As the book progresses, you see things starting to go more downhill, and you can only sit there and read on.  You can’t help Hannah and you can’t make Clay understand.  That is one of the most frustrating concepts for me personally. There are a lot of things that build up, some you see coming and others you don’t.  I really should stop now so I’ll end it with, this is just such a heart-wrenching , touching book, in a life lesson kinda way.  I learned a lot from it, and hopefully once you’ve read it so will you.

What are your thoughts Kay? Anything you didn’t like about it?
Ky’s Review:  This is one of the few books I’ve read where I have had my opinion altered.  Believe me this is truly remarkable because I am a very stubborn opinioned individual.  13 Reasons Why is not your average YA read.  It is a touching novel that explores how the little things are the ones that truly affect your life.  Something I never realized was how much the seemingly small insignificant things you do, can affect someone else.  So many people in Hannah’s world did seemingly harmless bits of cruelty.  They could never have guessed that their actions would have affected her so.   It’s hard to accept that everyone is guilty of this.  I like to think that I’m a thoughtful person and would never purposefully hurt someone.  This book made me realize that you don’t have to intend to hurt someone, to do so.  
I don’t mean to get all depressing here, but suicide is a really terrible thing.  I used to believe that people who chose to do so just took the easy way out.  That they always had a choice, but after reading this novel I realized that they might not always think they do have a choice.  While reading I was truly put into Hannah’s shoes.  It was a very emotional experience to say the least.   I can’t say that I understand what it’s like to feel the need to take my own life, but I can empathize. 
The story contains a great lesson yes, but it is also just an amazing story.  Just like Aly said, Clay is absolutely loveable.  It is sincere and kind, and overall just a wonderful guy.  I felt like I was able to connect with him, in a way that I could never connect to Hannah.   It’s a touching story that will surely change the way you view the world.  It’s truly a life changing book that everyone should read. 
As for your question Aly, there wasn’t anything I disliked about this novel.  I only wish there were more like it.  :D

2 comments:

Mg (LWS) said...

*Cough* Getting in on this next time! :P

Pleazzzzzeeeeeeeeee!

blueicegal said...

girl you are so in hahahahaaha cant wait!