BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dog Eared

Dog Eared is a chance to share some of my most worn "dog eared" books that I love to read over and over...and over again. This week's book is The Naming by Alison Croggon! 

Synopsis: Maerad is a slave in a desperate and unforgiving settlement, taken there as a child when her family is destroyed in war. She doesn’t yet know she has inherited a powerful gift, one that marks her as a member of the noble School of Pellinor and enables her to see the world as no other can. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true identity and extraordinary destiny unfold. Now, she and her mysterious teacher must embark on a treacherous, uncertain journey through a time and place where the forces of darkness wield an otherworldly terror.

The Pellinor series is probably one of my all time favorite fantasy books ever.  In the history of forever.  It's a classic tale of a young woman discovering herself and her destiny.  I always wanted to be Maerad.  I mean who wouldn't want to have hidden almost unlimited magical power?  Maerad is very humble, her sole possession an instrument from her mother who died when Maerad was young. She is brutally honest with herself and I greatly respect her as a person.  She is honorable, sweet, humble, and just all around a wonderful person.  Most importantly, though she has this huge responsibility she is still a teenager.  She is so relatable and so like myself, that sometimes I felt like she was my best friend.  I just related to her that well.  She has a destiny that even she can hardly believe, and a huge legacy to live up to.  The entire world is so well thought out and utterly extensive that it's hard to believe that it is fictional.  It is literally like stepping into another world, filled with its own customs, history, folk-lore, magic, and unique people.  I love this series, and I need to get my hands on the fourth and final book!  Oh and small little rant here.  Cadvan and Maerad are not, I say NOT a thing!  Ever! No way! I do not understand how people can think that!  Ew!  Gross! Nasty! That nasty thought ruins the whole mentor/ student relationship they have!  Just, no.  Okay, small rant aside, these books are a great example of epic fantasy that you just cannot miss out on!

0 comments: