BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dog Eared

Dog Eared is a chance to share some of my most worn "dog eared" books that I love to read over and over...and over again.  This weeks Dog Eared is one of my all time favorite books.  Ever.  In the history of forever.  A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray is probably one of the reasons I started reading so obsessively.  No lie. 

Synopsis: Gemma, 16, has had an unconventional upbringing in India, until the day she foresees her mother's death in a black, swirling vision that turns out to be true. Sent back to England, she is enrolled at Spence, a girls' academy with a mysterious burned-out East Wing. There Gemma is snubbed by powerful Felicity, beautiful Pippa, and even her own dumpy roommate Ann, until she blackmails herself and Ann into the treacherous clique. Gemma is distressed to find that she has been followed from India by Kartik, a beautiful young man who warns her to fight off the visions. Nevertheless, they continue, and one night she is led by a child-spirit to find a diary that reveals the secrets of a mystical Order. The clique soon finds a way to accompany Gemma to the other-world realms of her visions "for a bit of fun" and to taste the power they will never have as Victorian wives, but they discover that the delights of the realms are overwhelmed by a menace they cannot control. Gemma is left with the knowledge that her role as the link between worlds leaves her with a mission to seek out the "others" and rebuild the Order.

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy  started my obsession with reading back in oh, say fifth grade?  Possibly sixth?  Anyway, the  point being is that this book was so wonderful it not only made me fall in love with the story, but fall in love with reading.  As well as making me obsessively buy books as well, much to my parents chagrin.  The story starts off in  India, a place I cannot even fathom visiting, and immediately draws you in.  It's Gemma's 16th birthday and she ends up running away from her mother in the market after another fight.  Gemma finds herself lost on the streets and being followed by a mysterious young man.  Trying to escape this new threat Gemma is suddenly drawn into a terrible and violent vision to only witness her mother's murder.  Gemma is suddenly sent away to the constricting and timid lifestyle of a Victorian woman when she and her family move back to England.  She believes that she is finally away from the horrors that haunt her and her family, only to find that the past isn't so willing to move on.  Spence brings about a whole set of new and strange social standards that Gemma must struggle to conform to.  Trouble seems to follow her at every turn.  Getting in trouble with teachers, challenging the social monarchy, and the mysterious young man from India who still seems to be following her.

Gemma is a strong willful young woman who I am able to relate to very easily.   She is as misplaced in England as a fish is on land.  Not good at French, drawing, sewing, or dancing she is a complete social outcast.  None-the-less she is still a determined and stubborn young woman.  Not caring what others think, she takes on Felicity and Pippa's little games and comes out on top.  She is probably one of my favorite heroines, hands down.  She does not judge others based on social standards or race, and believes that everyone deserves a second chance.  Believe me I have not forgotten Kartik.  :D  Tall, dark, mysterious, long eyelashed, hot bod, bad boy type vibe going on?  Hmmm mmm hmm mm mm! Who could forget that?!  The characters are completely believable, the plot is twisted and unpredictable, and it is just an absolutely amazing read!  The whole entire series is well worth it and a must buy because you will read them over and over again!  :D

Oh and for other fans... you know the rumor going around that there was going to be a movie?  Well it's in production!  Currently the release date is December 2, 2010.  However do not badger me with questions of cast, because I can honestly say that I looked everywhere and could not find the stupid cast list.  >.< Oh well.  Still psyched!  

3 comments:

ALN said...

I have just started reading this book. I have been busy lately, and have put it down for other books, but I do like it so far. It's great how one book can get you started in reading. For me it was the Giver, but I was big into reading before this just got me back into it. I plan to really get into this book this weekend. Also I like the new blog design, very cool.

blueicegal said...

congrats on the awesome layout and button love it, as or this series, im hoping to review it very soon, its just so amazing nice review girl :)

Ky said...

Ah I love the Giver! Those books are great! I remember reading the Giver in elementary and none of the other kids got it or liked it. I felt so alone! Lolz! And thanks for the compliments guys!!! :D