BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

All the World's a Stage

I'm done!!!  Woot woot!  After being kept from devouring this book by my cousins and cries of "Kiwee!" every five seconds, I finally finished it today after sneaking peaks at it all day during my classes.  It definitely lived up to my expectations!   Yet at the same time I'm so depressed that I'm done with it.  :(


Synopsis:  Act Two, Scene One
Growing up in the enchanted Thèâtre Illuminata, Beatrice Shakespeare Smith learned everything about every play ever written. She knew the Players and their parts, but she didn’t know that she, too, had magic. Now, she is the Mistress of Revels, the Teller of Tales, and determined to follow her stars. She is ready for the outside world.

Enter BERTIE AND COMPANY
But the outside world soon proves more topsy-turvy than any stage production. Bertie can make things happen by writing them, but outside the protective walls of the Thèâtre, nothing goes as planned. And her magic cannot help her make a decision between—
  Nate: Her suave and swashbuckling pirate, now in mortal peril.
 Ariel: A brooding, yet seductive, air spirit whose true motives remain unclear.
When Nate is kidnapped and taken prisoner by the Sea Goddess, only Bertie can free him. She and her fairy sidekicks embark on a journey aboard the Thèâtre’s caravan, using Bertie’s word magic to guide them. Along the way, they collect a sneak-thief, who has in his possession something most valuable, and meet The Mysterious Stranger, Bertie’s father—and the creator of the scrimshaw medallion. Bertie’s dreams are haunted by Nate, whose love for Bertie is keeping him alive, but in the daytime, it’s Ariel who is tantalizingly close, and the one she is falling for. Who does Bertie love the most? And will her magic be powerful enough to save her once she enters the Sea Goddess’s lair?

My Review:  Lisa Mantchev continues her brilliantly original series in her latest novel Perchance to Dream.  Enter Bertie and Company!  The masterfully crafted story continues with Bertie's latest whirl wind adventure.  Bertie is bound and determined to rescue Nate, her best mate and would be lover, from the clutches of Sedna the Sea Goddess.  Accompanying her are her ever present partners in crime, and Ariel the sexy mysterious air elemental.  When Bertie tries to use her newly discovered powers to re-write their story, things don't go exactly as planned.  Events go at a breakneck pace and at times it's difficult to keep up with the latest turn of events; yet it is one of the reason's that kept me at the edge of my seat.  New characters are introduced, Bertie's father is revealed, and the confrontation with Sedna had me clutching the pages.  The story truly is magical and I didn't always understand exactly why or how things were happening, but it's what gives these books that certain charm.  That extra element in the writing truly captures the magical otherworldly quality of the story and characters. I was thoroughly pleased with how events turned out and would not change a single thing about the novel.

The characters were vastly entertaining as well.  The fairies!  Oh oh oh oh my!  If I could pluck any characters out of a book, they would be at the top of my list!  Talk about utterly hysterical!  They make me giggle insanely every time they speak!  Lines like "I haven't the foggiest notion" just kept me laughing insanely throughout the novel.  It's funny and upbeat, yet keeps the air of mystery and anticipation throughout the story.  Remember how I couldn't decide who I liked more?  Ariel or Nate?  Ya well... I still can't decide.  Depressing I know.  It's just so frustrating because I want to pick a side, but I can't!  This little love triangle had the potential to turn into a horrible Edward/Bella/Jacob disaster, but thankfullly it did no such thing!  Bertie is her own woman and refuses to be "owned" by any man, even though she has feelings for both.  Bertie is independent and comes into her own powers, inherited from her mother and her father, and a mix of her own.

Overall an amazing sequel that still leaves me wanting for more!  Absolutely wonderful!  I just feel sorry for everyone who has to wait to read this... total bummer.  But fear not my fair maidens!  It is well worth the wait!  :D

0 comments: