BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Time is running out...

Do you ever get the urge to cry, laugh, scream, and then hurl a book at a wall?  Ya well... I almost did all four of those when I finished Hourglass by Claudia Gray.  No this is not a sign that I about killed a book, it's me being highly frustrated that I have to wait another year for the next one!  

Synopsis: After escaping from Evernight Academy, the vampire boarding school, Bianca and Lucas seek refuge with Black Cross, the elite group of vampire hunters led by Lucas’s stepfather. When Bianca’s close friend—the vampire Balthazar—is captured by Black Cross, Bianca knows she has to do whatever it takes to save him. But at what cost?

Hourglass, the third book in this gripping vampire series by the author of the New York Times bestseller Stargazer, has all the romance, suspense, and page-turning drama that have made Claudia Gray’s books runaway successes.

My Review:  When I first started the Evernight books I immediatley fell in love.  It was such an original take on the whole new wave of vampire novels, that I couldn't help but love it.  With the addition to Stargazer I must admit that I was severely disappointed.  Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but I couldn't help sighing and saying "Really?  Just really?"  Y'all know what I'm talking about.  (Just in case someone has not read Stargazer yet, don't want to spoil it.)  I was expecting Hourglass to continue on the slow downhill run of ridiculousness.  I am happy to say that I was wrong!  Everything in Stargazer that had bothered me and that seemed totally random, didn't seem so misplaced in Hourglass.  All of the story elements blended nicely together and seemed to actually make coherent sense!   I never knew what was going to happen or what to expect until the end of the novel, and even when I thought I had figured out the ending, the author threw in  another twist!  That was the point where I almost threw the book at the wall, I'm ashamed to say.  And I might have screamed into my pillow... I'm not going to admit to that though.  Lucas and Bianca's relationship truly developed in this novel.  And no not just physically (get your mind out of the gutter)  but it truly felt like they were a real life couple.   So many teen novels these days play out in such a predictable way.  Meet, immediately become enamored, supernatural revelation, instant love.  The end.  Hourglass was truly different.  Both Bianca and Lucas both have their faults, but they trust in each other to forgive and understand.  That's the true beauty of their relationship and their love.  Even when one or the other messes up, they always tell the other and remain honest.  There is no jealousy or bitterness, only understanding and forgiveness.  I have to gush about one last thing before I end my review.  Ranulf=epicness.  Just saying.  He is so awkwardly adorable I just can't help but love him!  I was soooo happy that he and Vic were still heavily featured in the book.  "This is how I roll" coming out of Ranulf's mouth is just too hilarious to pass up acknowledgement. Just relaying this small piece of hilarity makes me grin like an idiot.  So yes, Hourglass is definitely worth your time and if you're anything like me, you will be screaming and cursing and punching a pillow when you finish and discover you have to wait a whole other year to find out what happens.  Joyful, is it not?

0 comments: