BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ramblings of the bloggers

So truth be told.  I'm a bit of an aspiring writer.  I can't finish a story to save my life, but that doesn't stop me from fiddling around every once and a while.  Every once in a blue moon I'll post some of my writing on here!  Just for fun that is.  My dear friend, Kat from My Wonderland , will be joining me in this little experiment and we'll be adding onto each others ideas.  She'll be doing guest posts, and hopefully our combined story will hit it off!  So I guess I'll kick this little experiment off!  Hopefully it doesn't suck too bad.  :D

        I glared at those who passed in front of me, hoping that my ice colored eyes would deter most of them.  People stood on the outskirts of the square gawking at me.  I made a point of ignoring them and buried my nose in my book.  It was very tattered with plenty of dog eared pages and a broken spine.  I had read it many times over.  It was one of the few books I owned, and I usually kept it with me at all times.  I was reading over one of my favorite passages when I heard stifled laughter from across the square.
        I glanced up and then returned to my book.  It was just a bunch of stupid middle schoolers, come to see the weird kid.  I scooted around on the edge of the fountain so that I was facing the cascading water.  Droplets of water wetted my pages but I didn't mind.
       The laughter grew louder. I scowled and grabbed my iPod from my black messenger bag and firmly stuffed the headphones into my ears.  I turned up the volume full blast, trying to drown out the sounds of laughter.  I caught my reflection in the pool of water.  My whitish-blonde hair was straggled around my face, the tiny braids I had done this morning already unraveling.    My skinny frame was drowned in layers of fabric; most of it mismatched and discards from the Goodwill bin.  I turned away in disgust.  No wonder everyone stayed as far away from me as possible. I looked like a vagrant.
        A pair of Pumas suddenly entered my view.  I looked at the shoes and then up at the person who had so rudely invaded my personal space.   It was one of the stupid middle schoolers.  An athletic looking blond, was flipping her outrageously long hair over her shoulder.  Her face was caked in too much make up. I'm surprised her face could even move to sneer down at me with all of that crap on her face.  She said something to me, but on account of my blasting music I didn't hear her.  I chose not to even grace her with a response and turned back to my book.  I had to admit I was a little shocked that she had gotten so close to me.  I wonder how much her friends had paid her.
        Her manicured hands suddenly shot out in front of me and snatched my book.  I ripped my headphones from my ears.
       "Give it back," I said my voice a low guttural growl.  I could feel my face flush with anger even as I spoke.  Blondie just grinned.

       "I see that got your attention," she said smiling victoriously.   I had no desire to deal with her crap.  I pushed her hard in the chest, sending her reeling into the fountain.  I snatched my book out of her hands seconds before she hit the water and stormed off.  
I shouldered my overflowing messenger bag.  My thick soled combat boots pounded on the cement, causing the pigeons to fly out of my way.  People around me gawked, making me turn crimson with embarrassment. Why did they have to stare at me like I was some freak?  I chuckled at the thought.  Who was I kidding?  I am a freak, and everyone in this po-dunk little town never lets me forget it.   
I let my long hair fall in front of my face, shielding me from their stares.  My bohemian skirt flowed furiously around my legs as I almost ran out of the square.  I wasn't even looking where I was going, striding blindly into the crowd of spectators that had gathered.  I shoved past them, pushing with my bony shoulders.  The crowd quickly parted for me, not wanting to touch me.  Not wanting to be near the social pariah.  I should have been used to it, but it still cut me to the quick.  It never ceased to amaze me as to how cruel people could be.  How malicious they are to people who are different, who threaten their view of their perfect world.  It wasn’t as if I was the only goth type in town.  In fact, I was probably the least ostentatious in my personal style than the rest of the “weird” crowd in school.   I didn’t fit in with the “in” crowd and I wasn’t even able to gain a place amongst the social outcasts. 
I could feel the tell tale signs of tears fast approaching.  I walked faster, now shoving people out of my way.  I would not have an emotional breakdown in the middle of the square.  I rubbed my eyes hurriedly, no doubt smearing my eyeliner.  My eyes began to blur with tears, despite my conviction to keep them dry.  I suddenly emerged from the crowd and practically ran to my car.  My battered ’72 Buick Electra sat alone in the empty parking lot, as if people could tell that it was my car.  The blue paint job was flaked off in huge patches, revealing the rusty exterior beneath.  I threw my bag in the passenger seat and turned my key in the ignition.  The car shuddered to life beneath me and hummed pleasantly.  I rubbed the worn leather steering wheel affectionately, instantly feeling calm behind the familiar wheel. 
I breathed deeply, my car provided a layer between them  and me.  That extra layer was something I desperately needed right now.  A tear made its way down my cheek.  I brushed it away tiredly, just wanting to go home.  I threw the gear into reverse and backed out of the parking space.  I glanced back over at the fountain and saw the group of middle schoolers fawning over the girl I had pushed in.  I suddenly regretted my little outburst.  As superficial and condescending as the girl was, she didn’t deserve to be soaked through in dirty fountain water.  She waved her arms grandly, reenacting what has supposedly gone on between us.  Her friends oooed and awed and believed every word of it.  Maybe she did deserve to get soaking wet after all. 
I shifted into drive and let off my break.  A flash of fiery copper caught my eye, drawing my gaze back to the fountain.  I hit the breaks in astonishment.  There was a girl sitting on top of the fountain.  She was perched on the head of the nymphs statue, her head thrown back in laughter.  Her fiery curls glinted in the sun, as she laughed.  Her laugh wasn’t joyous, it was almost…evil.  Like she was getting amusement from the story being told below.  Her head suddenly swung over to the parking lot, searching for something.  Our eyes met and a shocked expression crossed her face.  Severely creeped out, I sped out of the parking lot, anything to get away from what I had seen in her eyes. 
I drove down the road, blasting the radio as loud as I could, trying to drown out my thoughts.  No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t shake the feeling of terror from when she looked into my eyes.  I had sensed an overwhelming sense of malice, even hatred towards the people in the square.  The way she looked down on them, almost as if they were lesser beings chilled me to the bone.  And what the hell was she doing sitting on top of the fountain like a bloody pigeon? 
I sighed, wanting to bang my head against my steering wheel.  Maybe I was seeing things; wouldn’t be the first time that I had seen strange and unexplainable things.  I’ve had doctors and psychologists pushing pills at me since I was a little kid.  They never helped.  I eventually learned to just tell them what they wanted to hear.  That the visions had gone away.  That I was perfectly normal, and the visions were gone.  Eventually it became reality.  After years of convincing myself that I didn’t see anything, by ignoring it, the visions began to fade.  I hadn’t seen anything strange for over two years, until today that is. 
“Great, just great,” I muttered to myself, pulling into my driveway.  I stared up at my house, instantly feeling better.  I slammed my car door shut and jogged up to my front step.  I pushed open my screen door roughly, the old frame creaking loudly.  The paint on the door was peeling off in long strips.  I absentmindedly picked off a curling piece of paint as I stuck my key into the lock.  The heavy oak door swung open, its hinges sliding smoothly.  I smiled up at my handiwork.  My repairs had done the house some good at least.  
I tossed my bag on our old futon.  Nora immediately came darting into the living room like a bat out of hell.   She jumped up into my arms and meowed at me pathetically.  
 "What did you do now?" I asked scratching her ears.  
 " Laurel!  That stupid cat of yours peed on the laundry again!" my dad screamed from downstairs.  I glanced down at Nora and flicked her nose. 
  "Bad Nora," I said trying to be stern.  Nora turned her big blue eyes up at me and I immediately melted.  I scratched her under the chin and cursed her for being so darn adorable.  
  "Laurel!" dad screamed again.  
  "Stop leaving it sitting on the floor and she won't pee on it!" I shouted back.  My dad went silent, and I smiled victoriously.  My dad was horrible at doing laundry.  He started separating the clothes and they always just ended up on the floor by the washer, never in it.   I could hear him clunking up the stairs just as the washer started gushing water.  He emerged from the stair well, scratching his head.  His black hair stuck up wildly around his head, his temples starting to gray.  He leaned on the door frame and folded his arms in front of his chest.  
   "Nora I have a proposition to make," he said very seriously.  "I will stop leaving the laundry on the floor if you stop urinating on it.  Do we have an agreement?"  Nora blinked at him several times and then started cleaning herself.  Dad sighed.  
 "I'm going to take that as a yes," he said rubbing the stubble on his chin.  I wondered when he last shaved.  "How was your day off?" he asked smiling mischievously at me.  My smile evaporated off of my face.  "What happened?" dad asked suddenly solemn.  
 "Just the usual," I said lowering my gaze.  I hated relaying what everyone had done to me during the day.  "Some chick thought it would be cool to mess with me at the fountain."  Dad's eyebrows rose, asking me to continue.   "I may or may not have pushed her into the fountain," I said setting Nora on the floor. 
“Laurel!” my dad exclaimed, disapproval radiating off of him.  I brushed the hair off of my skirt avoiding his gaze.  I didn’t even try my usual argument.  Saying she deserved it wasn’t going to help my case. 
“Sorry,” I muttered.  “I lost it.  It would just be nice, for just one day, if people wouldn’t give me crap.”  The anger in my dad’s eyes immediately dissipated, replaced with worry. 
“Oh Laurel,” my dad said, rubbing his temples. 
“I know dad,” I said turning to go up the stairs.  “I know.” 

Be sure to check out Kat's wonderful story, Seraphs as well! 

2 comments:

The Mad Katter said...

Haha thanks so much for the publicity! ;) working on my part of this story as we speak. It's going to be fun!

Mg (LWS) said...

I like it :) I had it book marked and just got a chance to read it.