BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 4, 2010

For Shame...


So I have decided I am horrible at doing ANYTHING on time.  Maybe I’m over exaggerating a bit… but it just seems like the universe is totally against me posting anything on my blog ON TIME.  Last week I was out of town and thus internet-less.  This Tuesday I had to attend an hour and a half concert so I could write a concert critique for band.  And amid it all I actually finished a new book!  So in light of me being a horrible time manager I have come to a conclusion.  I am going to write up all of my blog posts AHEAD of time and then just post them in five minutes the day I actually want to post them.  Good plan, am I right?   Hahaha ha..ha…ha……  let’s just see how long that lasts before I congratulate myself. 
So onto my review!!!! 
Seventeen-Year-Old Luce is a new student at Sword & Cross, an unwelcoming boarding/reform school in Savannah, Georgia. Luce’s boyfriend died under suspicious circumstances, and now she carries the guilt over his death with her as she navigates the unfriendly halls at Sword & Cross, where every student seems to have an unpleasant—even evil—history.

It’s only when she sees Daniel, a gorgeous fellow student, that Luce feels there’s a reason to be here—though she doesn’t know what it is. And Daniel’s frosty cold demeanor toward her? It’s really a protective device that he’s used again . . . and again. For Daniel is a fallen angel, doomed to fall in love with the same girl every 17 years . . . and watch her die. And Luce is a fellow immortal, cursed to be reincarnated again and again as a mortal girl who has no idea of who she really is.
My Review: I’m a little behind the band wagon on all the new release books, simply because after being forced for over six months of NOT purchasing new books, I just can’t bring myself to buy anything anymore.  It seems as if my compulsive book buying has finally been cured???  Unless of course it’s discounted more than five dollars then I just HAVE to get it.  Hahaha.  So while at Sam’s Club (don’t laugh) I made a bee-line for the book section and discovered to my joy that they actually had some good books!  And what did I find, may you ask?  Fallen!  I was so ecstatic I literally snatched it off the shelf and put it in our cart.  Aside from the absolutely gorgeous fantabulous cover, I’m not quite sure what to say about the book.  I found it a cross between Hush, Hush and Evermore.   On one hand it wasn’t quite as exciting and suspenseful as I expected, yet at the same time it wasn’t overly cliché and eye roll worthy.  It was a happy medium.  While I did enjoy the book, and devoured it in about two days, it wasn’t something that I would necessarily say was the best book I’ve ever read.  I loved the fact that Luce had a troubled and slightly disturbing past.  Being sent to a reform school would not be fun to say the least.  I thought the setting was highly original and highly creepy.  I absolutely love Arianne and Penn and appreciated their quirky characters.  Once again I seem to enjoy the secondary characters way more than I do the main characters.  I’m starting to realize this is a common theme for me… Anyway I really enjoyed Luce’s character, despite the fact that she went goo goo eyed the very first day she arrived at the school.  (Does anyone else notice the fact that all teen/dark romance novels lately all have the main character meet the love interest in a school and immediately feel some connection with the hot bad ass guy?  I’m just saying here.  Please get a different story line.  *rolls eyes* ) Anywho, my little rant aside,  it really was a good book.  I don’t understand why everyone who has read it was so confused by the ending.  I mean clearly it was only put there to entice us to read the next one.  It wasn’t confusing for me because I knew I’d find out what exactly was going on in the next one, which I am eagerly awaiting by the way.   So really it was a decent book.  I think I’m just kind of depressed because I don’t have internet connection while I’m writing this…

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Brilliant review...this wasn't my favourite book this past year. I felt like it was such an overplayed story, though I felt the end picked it up a bit. I don't know...I guess I was bored through a lot of it haha :)

Ky said...

I have a feeling the second one will really let the author explore new territory because frankly no other sequels for angel themed books have come out yet. So really she can go whatever way she wants. I'm hoping her writing and her plotline develops in the next one. Hoping... though I'll read it anyway. Haha.