BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dog Eared

Synopsis: Thaniel, just seventeen, is a wych-hunter. Together, he and Cathaline--his friend and mentor--track down the fearful creatures that lurk in the Old Quarter of London. It is on one of these hunts that he first encounters Alaizabel Cray. Alaizabel is half-crazed, lovely, and possessed.Whatever dreadful entity has entered her soul has turned her into a strange and unearthly magnet--attracting evil and drawing horrors from every dark corner. Cathaline and Thaniel must discover its cause--and defend humanity at all costs.

As crazy as the name may sound, and as crazily spelled as Alaizabel is, this is truly a fantastic book.  This was the first book that I ever obsessed over.  Strange I know, but it was that memorable and amazing.  It was also the first steampunk/ dark fantasy novel I ever read.  And believe me it got me hooked for life.  Thaniel is the single most epic Indian Jones/ Buffy the Vampire Slayer character to ever exist.  (Yes more so than Jace Wayland, because unlike Jace, Thaniel is sweet and caring!) The book is full of dark edgy twists and turns that you never see coming.  It's suspenseful, exciting, and awing all at once.  Oh and did I mention there is an amazingly twisted Jack the Ripper type killer on the loose as well?  The plot thickens!  *waggles eyebrows*  Alaizabel is a damsel in distress, but she is also so much more than that.  She is a strong character with great depth and compliments Thaniel nicely.   The wych-kin are also amazing.  Scary.  But amazing.  Talk about twisted.  The whole book is simply an amazingly twisted, edgy, and loveable story that you will want to read over and over again.  Oh and did I mention this was the first author I seriously stalked after reading his novel?  Okay well I didn't stalk HIM but I did stalk his website.  Haha.  I'm still in love with this book and it is one of my all time favorites.  Definitely check it out, you won't regret it. 

4 comments:

blueicegal said...

Whateverrrrrrrrr no one is more awesome than jace, end of humph good review i actually saw this in the library some time ago, im defo gunna get it now :)

Ky said...

GET IT! I tell you it is fantastical. :D

WitchCraft-and-ScoobyDoo said...

Ally, you must read the ah-mazing book! You must! Or else! Thaniel might come...and crazy Alaizabel too...and the 25 year old woman...what's her name?

Ky said...

I forgot... It's like Katherine or something but differently spelled....