BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 19, 2010

Bibliophilia strikes again!

So yes, as the title says, I got struck by another case of frenzied reading madness.  Again... for the second day in a row... I need professional help.  I really do.  So at least I didn't stay up till the wee hours of the morning this time.  I went to bed at like 12:30 shockingly.  So yes onto my review!

Synopsis:Kelley Winslow is living her dream. Seventeen years old, she has moved to New York City and started work with a theatre company. Sure, she's an understudy for the Avalon Players, a third-tier repertory company so far off-Broadway it might as well be in Hoboken, but things are looking up—the lead has broken her ankle and Kelley's about to step into the role of Titania the Fairy Queen in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Faeries are far more real than Kelley thinks, though, and a chance encounter in Central Park with a handsome young man will plunge her into an adventure she could never have imagined.

For Sonny Flannery, one of the Janus Guards charged by Auberon, the King of Winter, with watching over the gate into the lands of Faerie that lies within Central Park, the pretty young actress presents an enigma. Strong and willful, she sparks against his senses like a firecracker and he can't get her out of his mind. As  Hallowe'en approaches and the Samhain Gate opens, Sonny and Kelley find themselves drawn to each other—and into a terrible plot that could spell disaster for both New York and Faerie alike.

My Review:  So I've been wanting to read this since it came out.  Actually... probably before it came out.  The cover was just so gosh darn pretty!  I couldn't resist not book stalking it.  Then I found it used, and in excellent condition for $3.49!  I was like "MMIIINNNNEEEE!!!!!!" and snatched it off the shelf and ran to the check out isle.   I love fairy novels.  I really do.  I have a sligt obsession actually.  So it comes as no surprise that I read this book in less than five hours.  And let me tell you it was really good!!!  It didn't have that dark edge to it that I loved so much about Tithe and Wicked Lovely, but it still conveyed the wonders and terrors of the world of Faerie.  Both the light and the dark.  I absolutely adored Kelley.  She had a fiery personality, and didn't take crap from any one.  I loved the fact that she was a determined young woman, bent on pursuing her dreams of becoming an actress in one of the most competitive places in the world.  She had great witty sarcasm and a strong personality.  Sonny is chivalrous and really sweet.  Then again he's not a fairy, so he's not conniving and doesn't have ulterior motives for his attraction to Kelley. He's tough and cut-throat, yet is still caring enough to try and brighten Kelley's day when he didn't even know her.  I loved the fact that the love interest was a Changeling!  And the whole role of the Janus Guard was really cool and original.  It added that extra uniqueness to the novel.  It seems that in every faerie novel the Winter and Summer Courts or the Seelie and Unseelie are the only focus.  I liked the fact that the author went that extra mile and included the monarchs to Spring and autumn since we never really get to know about them.  It was a great and quick read and I can't wait for Darklight!  I'm resisting the urge to go and buy it right now!  Sadly I have to work tonight so that's not going to happen.  Haha.  Yay for faeries!  :D

1 comments:

blueicegal said...

Your review actually had me giggling you funny girl, keep it up i love guessing which book your going to review next always expect some humour thats my kay :)