BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Vampires... again.

So in keeping with my recently fueled obsession with Charlaine Harris' amazing story, I'm now reviewing her novels!  Teehee.  And no I shall not do EVERY one.  There are 10 of them after all.  I'm not that mean.  Though I'm already on the third one...Anywho, here's the little blurb!

Blurb: This paranormal fantasy novel tells the tale of Sookie Stackhouse, a Louisiana barmaid with a disability--- she can read minds. This unusual ability causes most locals to think she is crazy and shun her. But then Bill walks into her bar, and he's a little unusual himself--- he's a vampire Sookie finds that she can't read vampire minds--- a restful experience--- and soon Sookie and Bill are dating. Bill even finds the time to meet Sookie's grandmother, and to speak on his Civil War experiences to her group.
But dating a vampire is not all sunshine and lollipops. Many people are biased against the newly-revealed vampires. And then there are the murders, which start with the violent death of one of Sookie's co-workers. Her brother Jason is suspected. Then Sookie's grandmother becomes a victim as well, and Sookie worries that she was the intended victim.

My Review:   What I found I adored most about these books was the straightforward-ness of the story.  Some of the more mysterious parts could have been incredibly more dramatic.  Yet at the same time I'm glad they weren't.  Harris keeps to her style through and through and doesn't try to fancy it up with hype and suspense.  It's something I really enjoy about these books.  They are just a great story, unblemished by gimmicks.  Sookie and Bill are even more adorable together in the novel than in True Blood, I'm pleased to say.  These books are just such a fresh take on vampires, and I've yet to read any other book (except maybe Sunshine by Robin McKinley) that handles vampires quite this way before.   What makes it even more amazing is the fact that these books were out way before any of the vampmire hype consumed hormonal teenagers everywhere.  They are truly original and not playing off of someone else's success.  I actually found that Twilight basically copied the basic romantic relationship and just switched some things around.  As much as I love to diss Twilight I won't dwell on that.  I greatly appreciated the fact that True Blood followed the novel incredibly well.  Of course they took their license with some things, but it was incredibly close I am pleased to say.  Overall, just a great series that I can't wait to read more of!  I'll stop my rambling now.

0 comments: