BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Best New YA Read!

Incarceron is a prison so vast that it contains not only cells, but also metal forests, dilapidated cities, and vast wilderness. Finn, a seventeen-year-old prisoner, has no memory of his childhood and is sure that he came from Outside Incarceron. Very few prisoners believe that there is an Outside, however, which makes escape seems impossible.

And then Finn finds a crystal key that allows him to communicate with a girl named Claudia. She claims to live Outside- she is the daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, and doomed to an arranged marriage. Finn is determined to escape the prison, and Claudia believes she can help him. But they don't realize that there is more to Incarceron than meets the eye. Escape will take their greatest courage and cost more than they know.

My Review: Three words for you. OH MY GOD! And just for emphasis... OH MY FREAKIN GOD! What can I say? I mean really? Just utterly fantastic! I can't believe that I have never heard of this before hand, because 1) It's already out on paperback in the UK and 2) It was so amazing I'm surprised no one else has read this! Aside from my utter fangirlish-ness, there is some basis on why I am dancing around clutching this to my chest begging for more.

Not only were the characters well developed and enjoyable, but even the side characters I loved. Those characters who were supposed to be disliked, I found myself loving them anyway. The dynamics between Finn and Claudia were excellent and well balanced, keeping you at the edge of your seat. It went from one climatic scene to another, and just back and forth continually. It was incredibly well written. I felt like I was reading an adult fantasy novel. The ideas were so mature in a novel way. Hopefully that makes sense because I can’t begin to describe it. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it doesn’t read like your typical YA novel. The concept of Protocol, in which society has been essentially frozen in time to prevent progress, is such an interesting concept I found myself wanting to hop right into the novel. Incarceron is dark and edgy and just overall an amazing piece of literature. I’m forcing myself to wind this down because I know I won’t be able to stop praising this book. I honestly haven’t read a YA book this truly sensational for a very long time. The only thing I can compare it to is Hunger Games, but even that doesn’t truly compare. If my outrageously long review isn’t convincing you, well let’s just say I read this for about an hour on a Saturday night, the next morning I continued reading it until I was finished because I had to go to work. I read it THAT fast. Go. Buy. It. NOW!

2 comments:

blueicegal said...

wow u make it sound bludy fantastic the thing is ive seen it and ive kinda brushed past it, when ive noticed it in my local library, it didnt seem my kind of book, ok maybe i havent even read the synopsis until now but the cover didnt apesal to me, omg i sound so bad! hahhaaha ok im hopefully goin shoppin tmrw so ill make a quick trip to the library and get it and then we can discuss :Px

Ky said...

Good girl. You know I have excellent tastes. And how does that cover not appeal? Though it is the American cover. The British one isn't all that cool, which is odd cuz usually Brit ones are way cooler. And Australian covers..... hahaha. Though one day I will be designing book covers so I'll make everything kickass. :D